Sciatica and Leg Pain
One of the many ailments we treat here at Irvine Chiropractic is Sciatica. The longest nerve in your body is the sciatic nerve, which begins at your spinal cord, running through the hips and buttocks, and then courses down each leg. Sciatica occurs if the sciatic nerve is damaged. The symptoms of nerve damage include pain, which is worsened with movement, weakness in the legs felt along the sciatic nerve, and in its most severe form, weakness in the legs and loss of mobility and feeling expressed as tingling in the feet described as pins and needles. There is a severe symptom called Cauda Equina Syndrome, which would cause incontinence requiring emergency treatment.
Conditions that can cause Sciatica and leg pain
- Herniated disks caused by ripped cartilage
- Vertebrae detached by cartilage pieces
- Compressed sciatic nerve which results in lower limb pain and numbness and back pain
- Spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the lower spinal canal, causing pressure on the spinal canal
- Spondylolisthesis, which is a degenerative disk disorder that can pinch the nerves
- Piriformis syndrome, a neuromuscular disease, which can become worse by sitting for long periods
Some tips on how to prevent Sciatica and leg pain
- Do not sit for long periods
- Maintain good posture
- Regular strengthening exercises with stretching
- Ergonomic exercises
- Maintaining a lean body mass
- Manage stress and use relaxation techniques
- Quit smoking
Prevention is, of course, the preferred method but if you are already suffering then some procedures can help treat Sciatica. The principle procedure performed by Dr. Martin to treat Sciatica includes spinal adjustments using his hands. These adjustments are designed to not cause discomfort and they are gentle and effective. Spinal alignment can promote joint mobility by fine-tuning misaligned vertebrae and treat nerve irritation. Alignment can alleviate pain and muscle tension, resulting in the development of healthy surrounding tissues. In addition to alignment, we offer other services that may assist in treatment. The services performed by Dr. Martin include Massage Therapy, Cold Laser Therapy Treatment, Rapid Release Therapy, Nutritional Response Testing (Kinesiology), Corrective Exercises, and Healthy Lifestyle Advice.
Dr. Gary Martin's Irvine Chiropractic Center, located in Irvine, California, offers pain management and helps treat and prevent sciatica and leg pain. If you think you’re suffering from Sciatica or leg pain and you’re in need of compassionate care, then please call for an appointment and begin the road to recovery today.